13267: Jepiem@aol.com: Re: 13260: Math Jay on "Haitian" sayings. Beniswa?

From: Jepiem@aol.com

The saying "benit soit l'eternel" is strictly french. To try to distort it
because it is being said by "Haitians" is to me trying to look for an
issue
where there isn't. Would an english sentence uttered by a "Haitian" have
to be
"creolized"? (meaning distorted and given a new spelling). I am also
bothered
by a certain tendency to generalize when it comes to "Haitians". Haitians
are a
diverse people and the fact that a group does some things does not mean
that
all "Haitians" do it. I spent the first 26 years of my life in Haiti and
have
gone back many many times afterwards. I never knew that Haitians greeted
one
another in church that way. While I can imagine that it could be so in
some
small sectors, it is by no means a Haitan tradition.
Math Jay