13271: Re: 13262: Pina comments - Editorial: Helping Haiti (fwd)

From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

"Now, in a shift born largely of exasperation, the
Organization of American States, backed by Washington, has
decided to unblock millions of dollars in aid on the
condition that legislative elections be held next year.
This is the right step, an effort to force the hand of both
government and opposition while offering relief to the
seven million people of a nation whose suffering knows no
bounds."

Absolute duplicity!!! A Covergence member publicly lauds the government for
having paid him restitution amounting to $222,000, a solution imposed by the
OAS as a condition of releasing aid. A self-admitted backer of the Sept.
1991 coup no less!! Meanwhile, armless and legless victims of the Sept. 1991
coup in Cite Soleil wonder why the OAS never insisted on restitution for
them from the wealthy families who backed the military takeover. While
Lavalas partisans are rounded up and prosecuted for their participation in
Dec. 17th's events of last year, former coup backers enjoy the warm blanket
of a wealthy impunity born of a blatant disregard for the rights of the
poor.  Why didn't the OAS insist on an equally thorough investigation of the
supporters of the "91" coup and demand their arrest and prosecution as well?
Where is the restituion for those victims who still suffer from the
atrocities committed by a military and police who were admittedly funded by
well-known wealthy scions among Haiti's elite. And yes I said "elite"!!

I am sure Toto Constant finds this all very amusing as his presence in my
country continues to prove that the OAS is nothing more than a handmaiden of
US foreign policy. Pontificating aside, I suppose I should expect nothing
less from Elliot Abrams, Lino Gutierrez, Otto Reich, Roger Noriega and John
Negroponte. Who are they and why do I mention them in relation to Haiti? If
you don't know then you aren't really looking at the whole enchilada. I
prefer to eat in well-lighted spaces so I can see exactly what it is I am
expected to digest.