13307: Leiderman: best wishes for the annual meeting, contacting speakers, and bicentennial activities (fwd)

From: Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@cisunix.unh.edu>

dear Group:

1.  I am unable to attend the annual meeting of the Haitian Studies
Association in Port-au-Prince October 17-19, so I want to send my best
wishes to all the speakers and participants who attend.  on the program
list, I see the names people whom I've met through this e-list and
corresponded with over the past few years.  it looks like an excellent
program.  also I hope it leaves a lasting impression on native Haitians
that people overseas care about the country's past, present and future.

2.  at last year's annual meeting at St. Michael's College near
Burlington, Vermont, I had the honor to speak on "The Ecological
Restoration of Haiti."  this year, I see that the environmental theme
will continue with a presentation by Abdu Salaam Moulta Ali of Tufts
University, Massachusetts, concerning "Changing the Environmental Image
of Haiti: From Barren Waste Land to Tropical Paradise".  this is an
important and ambitious notion, so I hope everyone attends that session
to help Mr. Ali "launch his boat" in good style.  I would be happy to
purchase a videotape of his speech if anyone brings a camera.  also,
because the meeting program omitted contact information for all the
speakers, if anyone knows how to contact Mr. Ali, I'd appreciate his
address, phone or e-mail.

3.  finally, a word about the upcoming independence bicentennial.  in New
England, news of various events are drifting up here but they are
predominantly about looking backwards and about entertainment.  is this
where all the bicentennial energy and enthusiasm is going?  I have
heard nothing at all about people organizing once and for all on a
nationwide level for the huge amount of educational, social and
environmental work that needs to be done, especially of overcoming the
isolation of Haiti's rural towns and villages by building networks of
communication and mutual aid throughout the country.  it is almost as if
maintaining isolation is a pre-condition for celebrating 200 years of
independence.  well, I hope the considerable expense and accomplishment
involved in gathering hundreds of people for the Haitian Studies
Association annual meeting in Port-au-Prince will also be put to good
use by critically examining and answering the bicentennial question:
"What will remain after the party is over and the revelers go home?"

thank you,

Stuart Leiderman