13324: Gross: Film by Jorgen Leth (fwd)

From: CRGross <crgross@optonline.net>

Bob,

On one of your recent postings we noted this film festival to take place in
NYC. As we are enamored of Haiti as well as its' art we couldn't pass up the
opportunity to meet Jorgen Leth and view his films. I did a quick review
that may be of interest to your readers. Hopefully they will enjoy it and
hopefully they will get a chance to view some of his films or even read his
book.

Thanks,
Consuelo Gross
MedaliaArt/The Art of Haiti
www.medalia.net

Recently, we were privileged to view, "Dreamers", a film written and
directed by Jorgen Leth. The film, presented at the Scandanavia House in New
York City, was part of a series of films on Haiti that Leth has written and
directed. Jorgen Leth is Denmark's Royal Honorary Consul to Southern Haiti.
He has adopted Haiti as his home and presently resides in Jacmel. Leth is
well known for his book, Billeder Fra Haiti-Images from Haiti, written in
Danish and English (printed in 2000). The book is a combination of
interviews with artists and beautiful color prints of the artwork. In many
ways, "Dreamers" is this book on film!
The screening was the United States premiere of the film. "Dreamers", which
will invariably become a classic, features the multi talented artists of
Haiti. The documentary explores the talent, creativity, motivation,
imagination and optimism of the Haitian artists. In the film we are treated
to interviews with Andre Pierre, Rigaud Benoit, Wilson Bigaud, Felipe August
Salnave, Preffet Duffault, Fortune Gerard, Prosper, Antilhomme, Philome
Obin, Jasmin Joseph, and Louise St. Fleurant.
It is very interesting to hear these artists speak of that which motivates
them. Leth presents them as dreamers, mystics and storytellers who live in a
country where spiritual forces play an active role in their everyday lives.
Andre Pierre is moved by his strong belief in Voodoo. He relates everything
to the Voodo loas which inspire him and which rule his world. For Jasmin
Joseph it is his imagination and the "friends" in his mind. As he strokes
his pet rabbit it is easy to understand why rabbits are quite often subjects
on his canvasses! Gerard speaks of nights when he cannot sleep and then
Jesus speaks to him and encourages him to paint.
Leth captures the essence of these famous artists as they relate their
personal stories in their own surroundings. It is truly a celebration of
their creativity and optimism. To have so little and to beautifully create
so much is a tribute to the Haitian spirit. Jorgen Leth, in "Dreamers"
offers the world some insight into that inexhaustible creativity that is
uniquely Haitian!