13371: Laleau -- restaurant experience

Dear Jacqui,
Yes, I had noticed that occasionally in Haiti... going into a store or
restaurant and wanting to buy something seemed to be taken as imposing on
whomever was working there... My favorite shopping incident perhaps was the
day I was looking for some bath powder in a store in Petionville and asked
for "poud"--the women looked at each other in great alarm and one said
"Poud
pou BLANC?" (They weren't feeling imposed upon, but were somewhat shocked
that I wanted to make such an illicit purchase right there in public ...
unless they thought I meant face powder, and not vodoun powder...) --nancy
laleau