13377: Dawn: RE: 13368: Slavin on Rudeness and Roots

From: Dawn <dianadawn@hainet.net>

Having lived in Haiti for the past ten years I have experienced BOTH
extreme rudeness and extreme politeness in retail establishments.  I
think actually I have seen a progression toward MORE politeness in many
places.  There are still some businesses where the clerks are rude, but
I also have noticed that some business owners are replacing them with
more customer friendly employees.  When I encounter rude behavior I try
not to frequent that business again.  In some cases  I haved talked to
the employer.  Some of my Haitian friends here say those rude people
"think they are working in government offices."

As far as rudeness and politeness, it seems that a person's training at
home and personality have more to with it than their salary.  I agree
with the person that suggested that being polite first helps but only
SOMETIMES.  Making a joke or also helps sometimes.  However some people
just are rude and ignoring them works well.  Just "bay vag"  because
sometimes rudeness is a way of getting a reaction from you.