13416: NOel: [hss] REMINDER HSS SEMINAR THIS COMING SATURDAY (fwd)

From: Alfred Noel <alfred.noel@umb.edu>

Haitian Scientific Society
Seminar series
Northeastern University Mathematics Seminar Room 544 Nightingale
October 26, 2002 11:45 AM -1:30 PM

Speaker: Lesly René Boston Public Schools

Title : An Example of The Vehicle Routing Problem ( After A. C. Tucker and
L. Bodin )

Abstract: One of the research projects currently taking place in the Haitian
Scientific Society involves the development and evaluation of software to
implement certain classes of transportation, delivery, garbage collection in
medium to large size cities and deployment of trucks and other materials for
the purpose of street cleaning. These problems are known to be instances of
the so-called Vehicle Routing Problem.

Our goal is to present an old paper of Tucker and Bodin about " A Model for
Municipal and Street Sweeping Operations" in which a lot of the basic ideas
and methods for that kind of VRP problems are introduced. We will discuss
the general mathematical techniques that are used such as: graph theory (
Existence of an Euler Circuit) algorithms design and complexity ( Shortest
Path, Minimal Spanning Tree) and Linear Programming Transportation Problem).
Finally, we will point to issues of implementation and Software engineering.

This talk is a result of discussions with Alfred Noel and Leaderson Brutus
of the University of Massachusetts and the United Parcel Service
respectively. We are all members of the Research Group within the Society.

Lesly René is an electrical engineer from UmassAmherst who had taught
engineering in Haiti for over ten years. He is currently teaching in the
Boston Public Schools systems.

Alfred G. Noël
The University of Massachusetts Boston
Department of Mathematics