13422: pgcharles: NYTimes.com Article: Crime Is a Rising Threat in Many Areas (fwd)

From: pgcharles@hotmail.com

Crime Is a Rising Threat in Many Areas

October 22, 2002
By JOE SHARKEY

The world is on sale!" comes the cry from the travel
writers, who have been prattling on for weeks about the
wonderful air-fare discounts now available for many
international trips.

Some bargain, I thought darkly yesterday. Contemplating the
subject of travel safety in a dangerous time, I went online
to a government Web site, www.travel.state.gov, where the
State Department posts a long list, country by country, of
current international travel warnings. Here are some
excerpts:

HAITI "There are no 'safe areas' in Haiti."