13445: Corbett is back home in St. Louis after three weeks in Haiti

>From Bob Corbett

Corbett is back home in St. Louis after a marvelous three week visit to
Haiti where I met many wonderful folks and heard interesting papers at the
HAS conference, read and reviewed 6 books on Haiti (these will appear
little by little on the mailing list as I get a chance to type up my hand
written notes), and just had a lovely and relaxing time.

The HAS conference was three days and each evening there was a major
social event.  Alas, I never made a single one of those.  I intended to
attend every one of them, but by about 5 PM each afternoon my knees had
just given out and I would collapse into a taxi and get back to the Hotel
Oloffson just falling into bed.  Other than those three days for the
conference, and the first day I was there going out for shampoo which I
had forgotten, and one simply marvelous set of parties which Lauri Bushey
and Lance Durban gave, I never left the Oloffson.  My knees just wouldn't
allow it.

I don't say this with any regret at all.  What a wonderful place to read,
write and meet people which were my primary reasons for this visit.

I will be building many new web pages on my Haiti sight for various issues
(and I'll call attention to them on the mailing list as I get them built),
and will be coming to you all to beg help with a major project that I want
to work on for 2004, but need your help.

Crazy -- I was as healthy as can be (save my knees) for my whole Haiti
visit and now that I'm back in St. Louis I am a bit sick.  Perhaps the
water here in St. Louis just isn't as good as that they serve at the
Oloffson!!!!  I know the food at my house isn't anywhere as good as it is
there.

I give special thanks to Richard Morse for allowing me to use his
computer, but I really wasn't able to keep up with the list.  His modem is
a bit slow and there was so much mail.  My computer here is lightening
fast and I can keep up without as much frustration.  But, using his e-mail
did allow me to stay in touch with family and to get some of the notes out
from time to time.

I will write more, perhaps ever some highlights of my trip, but certainly
more about the work of others whose work I hope to give web space to.

Lots more coming in the month of November.

Bob Corbett