13448: Travis RE: 13434: Smith: (More Information, PLEASE) On Visas for foreigners (fwd)

From: "Smith, Travis" <TSmith@choate.com>

This message is to Don and Karen Davis and ALL who may have additional information about the new visa charge for foreigners visiting Haiti.

 I have two requests:

1) Please, if possible, send more information about the new "visa charge." For example, it would be helpful to know the following:

- Is this the result of passage of a new law by the Parliament or by executive decree?
- If not, how is it that this charge/fee/tax has come to be?
- Who is responsible for this decision? Who will be responsible for implementing and administering the charge/fee/tax?
- Has there been any public discussion about the creaton of this charge/fee/tax?  Any opposition?
- What is the stated rationale for this fee (if there is any)?
- Have the funds which will be generated from this charge/fee/tax been promised for any specific purpose (i.e., to fund a specific government program, airport upkeep, etc.)?
- How can I get copies of announcements, notices, rules, regulations or other written materials describing details of the "visa charge"?

 I would appreciate any information or helpful leads that any of you may have.

2) This charge/fee/tax will have a major impact on our ability to recruit volunter medical professionals to join our medical teams traveling to Haiti. Because all of our volunteers pay for all of their own expenses when they travel to Haiti with our Foundation, we are deeply concerned about this fee.

  I would expect that there are many other organizations, Foundations, aid groups, NGOs, etc. who will be similarly affected.  So, my second request is this:

 Are there there other organizations with representatives or members hooked up to this list who are similarly concerned about this charge/fee/tax?  I would appreciate hearing from you.  Please tell me about your organization about how this charge/fee/tax will impact you.

 Thank you,
   Travis

Travis K. Smith
Chair, Board of Directors
Healing Hands for Haiti Foundation, Inc.
www.healinghandsforhaiti.org
tks@choate.com
tel: (617) 248-4916
fax: (617) 248-4000