13463: Re: 13460: Schuller: two questions about the Revolution (fwd)

From: jacqualine labrom <voyageslumiere@haitelonline.com>

You may want to be in touch with a brilliant woman called  Bayyinah Bello
who gives talks on the role of Haitian women in the Revolution. We had her
speak at our International Women' Assn in Haiti and she was so interesting,
you could have listened to her all day. She is expecting to have a book out
later on - early next year possibly. But if you write me off line I will
give you her phone numbers in Haiti and you can contact her.

By the way just to remind you all of the events coming up over the next 2
years - several 200th anniversaries - 7th April 2003 - Toussaint
Louverture's death; 18th May 2003 the Creation of the Haitian Flag, 18th
November 2003 the Battle of Vertières Cap Haitian and of course the one we
all know - Independence Day on Jan. 1st 2004!!

I was at a seminar for Tourism for  the Diaspora  particularly in the years
2003/4 and Leslie Voltaire of MHAVE announced many projects that the
different Ministries are putting forward for those years. They have not been
ratified yet by the Government, but one of them is very interesting and
sounds like  its a definite thing:  A Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Cruise
starting from Miami and going to Haiti for a week. Going to be called 'A
Cruise into History'. It will stop at Labadie and do some tours around
(which I will be involved with), then on to Port-au-Prince and then to
Jacmel. There are lots of Afro Americans who are expecting to participate
and some of them quite wellknown, incl. I hear Danny Glover. They will have
artists and artisanat on board as well as dancers and musicians. It sounds
great and the ship can take 3500, but they have an option for 2 boats!!
Mind you I can just see me trying to take 100 busloads of tourists up to the
Citadelle - help, please pass me the Valium!!!

When I get further concrete details I'll pass them on, as I'm sure there are
many Corbeteers who would like to participate in the many events that will
take place.

Jacqui Labrom

NB My email address is: voyageslumiere@haitelonline.com

LOOK AT THE NEW STUFF ON MY WEBSITE: www.voyageslumierehaiti.com

VOYAGES LUMIERE

'Journeys for the enlightened traveller'
'Voyages pour le touriste éclairé'
'Los viajes para el turista iluminado'

Please note my new office/home phone number
249-6177 + cell phone 557-0753