13465: 37 Gourdes for 1 US Dollar (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

37 G for 1 US Dollar

Today you need 37 gourde to buy 1  American dollar.
When I left Haiti in the early 80’s, it was 5
to 1. What went wrong? Everybody is doing politic. To
keep people “quiet” the government has a hand off
policy. Encouraging the importation of rice from
Mexico and Miami at the expense of the national rice.
The ship that brings the rice to Haiti returns empty
which means we pay double the shipping fee.
We import  “de fil à aiguille” no control whatsoever.
The United States, France, Canada and other countries
subsidize their farmers and provide the latest
technology for them to grow crops, what we have done?
Nada.
We do not encourage our farmers and we do not consume
local produce. Today, the people of Lester and St Jean
du Sud can barely survive.
A long time ago, in front of general hospital shoes
maker were everywhere; today our shoes and sneaker are
imported from the U.S., Canada, and China or Europe.
Helas!
Question: Haitians living in the Diaspora send close
to 800 millions dollars to Haiti each years, where
this money goes since these transfer are paid to the
recipient in Haitian gourde.
I’m against the idea of having two moneys circulated
in the country and now we have three. If you go to my
hometown, Ouanaminthe a foreign Haitian town located
at the border you can buy with the pesos. This is a
joke.
A few years or months ago when there were the rice
scandals I had thought that the government was trying
to bring cheap rice from Vietnam to assist the people
temporary but was trying to develop the local rice.
Such as providing technical support to the farmers and
to boost the local produce, but these folks did not
have a plan.
37Gourdes for 1 dollar if we don’t take action now, it
won’t take long to return to the Zorey Bourik era
where the exchange rate was 500 Gourdes for 1 US
dollar under the government of Salnave.

How to stabilize the Gourde? An economist or people in
the financial sectors can fire a suitable answer.

senou