13496: Williams Responds to Karshan on "Economic Embargo"

From: Maxetluc@aol.com

Just curious about a couple of things.

The "embargo" (a loaded term reflecting a lot more propaganda than
reality) consists of two things - rechanneling direct bilateral assistance
and blocked multilateral loans.

The direct aid from the U.S., EU and others that would have gone through
the government is instead being directed - at funding levels approved well
before the disputed 200 elections - through NGO's.   My question to you is
- What would the Haitian government do differently from the NGO's to
relieve poverty?

Second, there is the question of the blocked loans.  Now the latest OAS
resoultion call for the money to be released provided the government takes
some very basic steps toward democratization.   Does the regime plan to
take these steps, and if so when?

Finally, your post indicates that the refugees are fleeeing because of
this "embargo."  But people have been taking to the boats in large numbers
since 1972.  The loans have only been blocked since the mid-90's and
direct aid has never stopped - it simply isn't passing through the Haitian
treasury.  So I'm a bit lost on your cause and effect analysis.  Can you
explain more fully?

Dennis Williams