13507: stanley honorat re: the current situation in haiti (fwd)

From: stanley honorat honorat <shonorat@hotmail.com>

["The embargo affects the mass of poor Haitians more than anyone else,"
Laforest told me. "Those people coming here are desperate people."](quote
taken from article 13502)

this quote is so true and could have easily been applied to the actual
embargo that was in effect 1991-1994.  this virtual embargo (term coined by
jba croonies in a propaganda campaign)is more correctly termed a suspension
of aide.  it is also interesting to note that jba and his administration are
at the center of the two major crises of the last decade in haiti.  it was
they who requested the embargo, blockade, and invasion between 1991-1994 and
it is their ineptitude that has led to the current situation.
his entourage is busy stating that, in the best interest of the country, we
should all rally around him to combat this "laboratory" that is intent on
destroying him.  [pardon me while i laugh.]  he didn't seem to notice the
problem of interference when over 20,000 foreign troops returned him to
power in oct '94, at a cost of apromixately $2 billion.
jba must understand that history is sometimes a harsh judge.  he is in the
process of ruining what little this country has and his legacy will be just
that.  he must also remember that the democratic convergence is a political
coalition that has no specifc responsibilities to the country as a whole.
insofar as they are haitian citizens, they are responsible; but no more.
lavalas, on the other hand, holds the aparatus of power and is responsible
for the well-being of each and every haitian.  one hundred years down the
road history will not put a proverbial asterix next to jba's name with a
footnote saying that the democratic convergence remained intransigent and
never saw his side.  history will only record that he was the president that
(possibly) ultimately led haiti to ruin.
there still is a chance to save what miniscule amount of credibility he may
retain, if indeed there is any.  resign now and allow the country to take a
step in the right direction.
on the subject of the refugees, it is saddening to see when people are
forced to take extreme measures in order to flee their homeland (if this is
indeed the case.)  it is interesting to note, however, that some of the same
people who are asking for political assylum for these refugees are those who
are advocating that there is a "democratically elected" government in haiti.
  it seems kind or paradoxal to me.  if there is such a government in haiti,
then they do not need political assylum.  if there is not, then maybe this
government should go so that the future may be a little brighter.
on the eve of our bicentennial, it is difficult to find reasons to rejoice.
we are forced to look back at the accomplishments of our ancestors and turn
a blind eye to our situation in the present.  jan 1st, 1804 is an
accomplishment that must be celebrated.  as citizens we celebrate our
heritage.  as a country we celebrate our independance.  as people, we are
saddened that a man and his group can fail so miserably...  2004 is a dream,
that, so long as jba remains in power is quickly turning into a nightmare.

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.