13542: Anez14u: What does your Pastor say ? (fwd)

From: Anez14u@aol.com

10/03/02 Davenport
Friends,
     As the ECKO was being prepared, a boatload of desperate Haitians came
aground in the wealthy Miami area of Key Biscayne, After enduring several
days at sea with inadequate food, the Haitians eagerly jumped overboard and
waded ashore.  Many of the children were dressed for the celebration of
reaching our shores.  However, our authorities including the Immigration and
Naturalization Service, rounded up as many of the boat people as they could
and carted them off to detention.  If these Haitians had been Cuban, they
would have been given immediate legal status and an opportunity to apply for
permanent residency.  Cubans would not have been detained.
     Haiti is the poorest country in our hemisphere.  Even though Haiti has a
duly elected president---John Bertrand Aristide---our current administration
has resisted giving help to that government.  According to a Washington Post
Article sent by Tommy Henderson, the USA as even blocked "already-approved
loans from the Inter-American Development Bank totaling $148 million,
designated for improvements in Haiti's water resources, education, and public
health" (08/07/02).  There is violence and disorder in Haiti.  The government
admittedly behaves in far fro democratic ways, often oppressing and
mistreating people who oppose it.  But, when we block funds, it is the people
in the streets who suffer.  Elsewhere in the world, we help far less
democratic states with equally dismal records.
     As is true for Cubans and others, people from Haiti come here seeking a
better life---a life free of fear, a life with the opportunity to work.  Like
any good parents they seek educational opportunities for their children, food
to keep them strong, and access to adequate health care to keep them well.
As Christians, we must first pray for the people of Haiti---those detained by
our government and those still in Haiti.  But, as Christians, we are also
called to speak out.  Consider writing to a newspaper and to your
congressperson.  Email or write president Bush.  Haitians must be treated
with fairness.  God's heart has a special place for the poor and oppressed.
Woe to those of us who do nothing to reach out to them in their need.
--------------------------------------I responded to my
Pastor------------------------------------------
Dear Anne Marie:
     I appreciated your article on Haiti and the plight of the boat people a
great deal.  As you know I have been involved with this issue for some time.
We rejoice that 37 of those seeking life are in the states now and have some
hope for a change.  We mourn the dead (some did not survive the trip) and
grieve for those who are soon to be "repatriated."  Most of us US Americans
do not even know that to be sent back means long imprisonment and probable
death while serving the sentence.  Haiti give no set sentence, people are
simply locked away until such time as the officials see fit to release them;
usually in response to bribes or threats.  While in prison, they are to be
fed and clothed by anyone who cares enough to do so--family, friends, we
blancs that care, etc.  Often the bodies of those who pass on are not even
removed from the hell holes they call cells unless we secure the consent to
visit.  With your consent, I would like to pass your article on to my email
list.  Thanks again for writing it and please let me know if this would be OK
with you to share with others concerned.
--------------------------------------------back to my letter to you
today-----------------------------------
     As most of you know, I have never gotten far enough ahead to replace the
blessed computer Ron gifted to me several years ago.  It, like me, is old and
tired and often seems to have a very obstinate mind of it's own.  The only
way I can send this kind of thing on is to retype it with my old fashioned
hunt and peck typing skills.  Any errors in grammar or spelling are most
assuredly mine and not my pastor's.
     I probably will not get around to writing again until later in the
month.  Please continue to pray for us, SF's family, Ron who is in Florida
now, Annel who should arrive in P-a-P tomorrow evening, Pastor Pierre and our
clinics, and our multitude of friends everywhere but most especially right
now in Florida, Canada and Pa.  I do plan to send a copy a little later this
evening, of an essay my son wrote for his English class.  That will be
easier, he types better and it is already on the computer so I can send it
with a few clicks.  It will come to you as Re: Star Fish's heart.  He doesn't
know I read it yet as he hasn't shared it with me--yes I snooped.  I think he
will let me see it once he sees what his grade is.  He is very reluctant to
share papers with me that he feels are not his very best.  I've tried my best
to get around this but can't seem to do so.  He got 4 As & 2 Bs on his report
card which came yesterday but still has some growing probems with a da
English.  God bless each of you--
                                            VOCATVS
                                             ATQUE NON
                                             VOCATVS
                                            DEUS ADERIT
                                    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
                                                            Carl Jung

We send our love to you in His name
(MY SON) Silentor Thomas Esthil-henderson
563-323-5099  <AyitiBoy@aol.com> &/or <AYITIbOY@haiti2004.com>
                 &/or
(MYSELF) Tommy Eugene Shafer-Henderson
563-323-5068 <ANez14U@aol.com> &/or <SFclinics@haiti2004.com>

2034 West 5th Street
Davenport, Iowa 52802-1006
PS  Please visit the Hunger Site today and every day.
Every time you do you feed a few hungry people somewhere in the world.
<<A HREF="http://www.thehungersite.com";>">http://www.thehungersite.com></A>
It cost you nothing but a moment of your time, there are no strings attached
and BEING HUNGRY HURTS

The light is reached not by turning back from the darkness, but by going
through it. (Unknown)

                                           VOCATVS
                                             ATQUE NON
                                             VOCATVS