13558: Karshan -- Cong. Barbara Lee's letter to Pres. Bush re: Haitian refugee issue (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

October 31, 2002

The Honorable George Walker Bush

President of the United States

The White House

Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

All immigrants and asylum seekers who come to this country are due equal
justice under the law. The United States' policies on immigration must be
color-blind, however, I am extremely concerned about the prejudicial and
biased treatment from the Administration as it relates to Haitians
refugees.

The Administration has acknowledged lengthy imprisonment and deportation
as a means to discourage more Haitians from coming to America; however the
events of October 29th should make it very clear that those means do not
justify the end. Continuing a policy of detaining Haitians indefinitely
who are seeking asylum in the U.S. will not discourage other Haitians from
also seeking refuge.

As a member of the Congressional Black Caucus’ Haiti Task Force, and a
sponsor of legislation to support Haiti through humanitarian relief, I
implore you to change the current policy toward Haitian refugees and to
immediately release all Haitians seeking asylum who are currently being
detained by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. The desperation of
the Haitian seeking asylum is apparent: they are risking their lives, and
the futures of their families to have a chance at a better life.

CBC Haiti Task Force Chair, Carrie Meek, stated, “The Bush Administration
has insisted on treating Haitians differently from other people coming to
this country seeking political asylum. They imprison Haitians
indefinitely; they don’t release Haitians into the care of the Haitian
community; they don’t let Haitians get the help they need to prepare their
asylum cases; and then they deport them.”

We have worked together to improve the conditions of asylum seekers from
Cuba, Nicaragua, Africa, and Venezuala; surely we can find a way to assist
Haitians. With over 1 million Haitians in America and Canada, it is
imperative that we represent the interest of an emerging population while
also helping to restore humanitarian and developmental assistance to
Haiti. The absence of a balanced American policy on Haiti hinders any
potential for the recovery and eventual health for both of our nations.

Our global community suffers if we neglect Haiti and its people. I look
forward to working with you on this issue.

Sincerely,

Barbara Lee

Member of Congress