13555: Sunsentinel: Acheiver (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Achiever

By Aurora Francois
Special correspondent
Posted November 3 2002

As the future seemed more and more uncertain in Haiti -- and following
various coups d'état -- my parents sent me to the United States on a student
visa to pursue my educational goals.

I immigrated 17 years ago to America, the greatest land of all, and made
Palm Beach County my home. I lived with my older sister, who had been living
in Boca Raton for three years.

Upon my arrival, I was impressed with the democratic regime, the educational
system and the countless opportunities that America offers.

My biggest challenges were learning English (my fourth language) and
assimilating into the culture.

I miss my friends and my childhood milieu. But I don't miss the shakable
Haitian future that I foresaw.

I always want the best, and therefore obtaining the best is full of
challenges and defeats.

I graduated from Boca Raton Community High School, where Art Johnson, now
the superintendent of Palm Beach County Schools, was principal and one of my
inspirations.

When I recall my high school years, I simply laugh. I underwent name
calling, but I mentally refuted the stigmatization by reminding myself that
I may be a "boat person" but I was and still am in quest of some big fish!

I didn't know a word of English and some students would call me "ugly" and I
would reply, "Thank you ... me too." One day, I figured out that it was not
a compliment. Ironically, those types of insults inspired me to strive
harder so I could more effectively speak English.

The Palm Beach County School District is to be commended for its excellent
English as a Second Language programs. These programs, which included some
dynamic instructors, assisted me in mastering the English language, and now
I teach ESL at Lake Worth High School.

Being able to teach immigrant students for nine years has been priceless. It
is a privilege to teach English to students from at least 10 countries,
ranging from Egypt, France, Haiti, Cuba, Honduras, India and more.

I try to instill hope and cultural pride into every student who enters my
classroom. It is extremely rewarding to see them fully articulate themselves
in the English language as the years go by.

Four years ago, I created the Haitian-American Educational Coalition. The
aim of the nonprofit organization was to build and advance a strong and
educated citizenry able to articulate and address pertinent issues affecting
Haitian-American educators, students, parents, administrators and the
community at large.

One of the coalition's highlights was an annual black-tie banquet that
acknowledged and boosted the morale of Haitian high school graduates. The
event also helped generate scholarship funds to assist those graduates who
faced financial hardships for college.

Though it is currently dormant, I plan to reinvigorate the organization in
the next few months.

In regards to other major accomplishments, I was able to become a Ph.D.
candidate with a 4.0 grade point average while married with two children and
maintaining a full-time high school teaching career.

I became a citizen five years ago, and I was overwhelmed. I felt truly free
and truly empowered by the right to vote and to be heard.

Having been in the footsteps of new arrivals, I have the following tips:

Surround yourself with positive role models.

Network with appropriate agencies for proper guidance.

Confront your fears and embrace knowledge.

Pursue excellence in all you do.

Adopt the library as your closest friend.

Listen to English radio stations.

Claim discipline and persistence as your middle name.

Perceive failures and disappointments as avenues for growth.

Press on ... never give up ... always count your blessings ... be
appreciative of those who help in facilitating your achievements.

If I had to do it all over, I would not change any part of my transitional
period. This noble experience makes me the person I am today.

I am more empathetic to people and can better relate to the struggle that my
students have to undergo.

I am more attuned to global issues such as world hunger, famine and poverty.
I am more culturally competent, and I greatly respect diversity.

I thank God for America, the land of freedom and opportunity!

Aurora Francois is a teacher at Lake Worth High School and a resident of
Delray Beach.