13561: Karchan: Sen. Christopher Dodd letter to Sec. Powell on Amb. Noriega's comments (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Senator Christopher J. Dodd
United States Senate
Committee on Foreign Relations

November 1, 2002

Dear Secretary Powell:

On October 31, 2002 the Washington Post ran a brief article highlighting
official United States frustration with the government of President Aristide
of Haiti with comments from the United States Ambassador to the Organization
of American States (OAS), Roger Noriega. According to that article Ambassador
Noriega seems to hold the view that President Aristide has refused to
negotiate with the opposition and has wasted opportunities for resolving the
current political stalement.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  As
you must be aware, President Aristide accepted the OAS proposal for resolving
the current political crisis, and has shown all appropriate willingness to
deal with the opposition, despite the opposition's rejection of the OAS
proposal.  In light of this, I am interested to know if Mr. Noriega's
comments were quoted accurately, and if so, if they reflect the views of the
Administration on the situation in Haiti.

As you know, President Aristide has given every indication that he is moving
forward in good faith to hold elections next year, and instead of undermining
this process with undeserved criticism, the Administration should be
encouraging members of the Haitian opposition to participate in the ongoing
electoral process.  I have no doubt that the Administration's support for
Haitian efforts to resolve Haiti's economic and political difficulties would
enhance the chances of success.  In that regard, I was very pleased by the
Administration's recent support for the decision to unfreeze InterAmerican
Development Bank loans to Haiti.

Mr. Secretary, the people of Haiti continue to suffer greatly, and as we have
seen this week in dramatic footage off the Florida coast, they are willing to
risk their lives for a chance at a brighter future.  We need to work together
to do everything in our power to address the plight of the Haitian people.
We must come to their aid, and we must keep in mind that it is the people of
Haiti who must be our concern, and not the flaws of their political
institutions.

I appreciate your continued support during this difficult time in Haiti, and

Sincerely yours,

Christopher J. Dodd
United States Senator