13624: Karshan: Revised THE USES OF HAITI by Dr. Paul Farmer is now available! (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

For years people have been asking me about the US and its relation to Haiti
and what are the US interests in Haiti.  I always refer folks to Paul
Farmer's The Uses of Haiti.  Just in time for Christmas (I plan to give this
book to as many people as possible) Paul Farmer has revised his book, The
Uses of Haiti, and it is available for order through Common Courage right now
at a 35% discount.

The new edition has an afterword by Paul ("Diagnosis: U.S. Government has
Chronic Allergy to Haitian Democracy") and brings folks up to speed on what's
happening in Haiti now and has a forward by Jonathan Kozol, whose books and
articles challenged the US school system and exposed the plight of America's
homeless.

The book sells for $19.95 but Common Courage is offering a special price of
$12.95  right now  through their website at
http://www.commoncouragepress.com/index.cfm?action=book&bookid=242

This is a perfect gift for those who want to better understand Haiti and to
interest others who may be new to Haiti or for those you are trying to
interest in Haiti.  Paul's intense love for Haiti and its people jumps at you
in every page. His passion dooms him to be that investigative medical
anthropologist forever exploring the why's of it all.  Reading this book
energies our work and puts into perspective why it always feels like we're
working against a tidal wave.

"Excellent . . . Farmer's passion challenges his fellow Americans, and
America's friends, not to remain indifferent to Haiti's agony." -The Times
Literary Supplement (London)

Paul Farmer is a physician-anthropologist who has worked for 20 years in
Haiti, where he serves as medical director of a hospital serving the rural
poor. He is a Professor at Harvard Medical School, and founding director of
Partners In Health, which supports medical and public health projects in
Latin America. His medical project is located in Cange in the Central Plateau
and is an international model for treating poor people who have HIV/AIDS.
Paul has been one of the voices on the international scene, first alerting
the world that TB continues to be a serious threat, and drawing the
connection between HIV/AIDS and TB and poverty as a key factor.