13627: Craig-Article: Migrants' families struggle to help arrivals (fwd)

From: Dan Craig <dgcraig@att.net>

Posted on Sun, Nov. 10, 2002
Migrants' families struggle to help arrivals
Voyage stretched Haitians' finances
By JACQUELINE CHARLES
jcharles@herald.com

Jose Jean is a self-employed mechanic who barely makes enough to pay the $1,300
monthly mortgage on his four-bedroom home and support his 2- and 3-year-old.

When he heard that four members of his family -- a brother, sister,
sister-in-law and cousin -- were among the migrants who arrived on South
Florida's shores nearly two weeks ago -- the Tamarac resident felt strangely
torn.

After struggling for 11 years to make a better life for his family in the
United States, it was as if Jean, 34, had just arrived on that same
50-foot-wooden boat.

Jean is experiencing the harsh reality many immigrants face: Having to
financially support recently arrived family members.

''It's really tough because you don't have any money. But they are my family
and I have to help them any way I can,'' Jean said. ``Family is family.''

For Jean and countless other South Florida Haitians, the potentially costly
reality of the sea voyage that ended with more than 200 Haitians jumping into
Biscayne Bay and running onto the Rickenbacker Causeway is slowly beginning to
kick in. It began last week when an immigration judge set bond for dozens of
migrants at between $1,500 and $4,500 -- and has since seeped into discussions
as families ponder how they will feed one more mouth, shelter one more body.

Although the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service immediately appealed
the decision, blocking the migrants' release, the decision served as a reminder
that immigration politics is not the only thing at play with the migrants'
arrival.

While all of the migrants are receiving free legal services, they will soon
have to hire attorneys to help them prepare their asylum cases before
immigration judges while in detention. That feat -- plus paying their legal
fees -- will probably fall on the backs of their U.S. families. And should the
INS lose its appeal and the migrants are released to await the disposition of
their cases, the U.S. families probably will be responsible for paying their
bond.

It's a responsibility some families embrace more readily than others.

"If she gets out, I will find a way to help her,'' part-time Broward cabdriver
Josue Vilmar said about his cousin, one of the two pregnant women the INS has
agreed to let out on their own recognizance, citing humanitarian grounds.
Originally, the INS was going to require a $1,500 bond on each woman.

"If I had to pay that $1,500 I would have to say, `I can't do anything,' ''
Vilmar said. ``Things used to be good here. But in the last two to three years,
there has been no jobs, and you can't find a way to pay your bills.''

Despite recent economic gains in the past decade -- evidenced by their
migration north to middle-class suburban neighborhoods in Southwest Broward --
South Florida Haitians continue to struggle financially. In addition to
supporting themselves, many Haitian immigrants also support families back home,
sending money for school fees, first communions, funerals and everyday living
expenses such as food.

The financial sacrifice, which sometimes means one less car or no family
vacation, can create the misperception that families in the United States are
enjoying the good life. ''It's only when folks arrive here, they see how
difficult it is to earn their money,'' said Gepsie Metellus, executive director
of Sant-La Haitian Community Center.

Cheryl Little, executive director of the Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center,
said the fact that immigrant advocates would have to help families come up with
bond money is evidence of the community's financial reality.

''Many of the Haitians we represent have two jobs and they work extremely hard
making very low wages, trying to put food on the table,'' said Little, whose
firm is representing many of the Haitian migrants during bond. "Even though
$1,500 might not seem like a lot of money, for these families it can be a
fortune.''

Little and Metellus said there are ongoing discussions about setting up a
Haitian Legal Defense Fund to assist the current boatload. ''We need to create
the infrastructure for providing assistance to family members who are unable,''
Metellus said. "This is a very real need. If we organize, if we create this
infrastructure, I think it would be tremendously powerful.''

As immigration advocates work out the details of such a fund, family members
such as Noe Jelin, 52, of Opa-locka wait. Already, he's contacted various
family members to see how much they can contribute should his nephew, Lafontan
Guillame, be released from Krome detention center.

''Everyone who comes here is looking for a better life,'' said Jelin, who
supports two teenagers on his cook's salary.

Jose Charles, 34, who is also hoping his brother Laroche gets to stay in the
United States, said it will no doubt be difficult to support an extra person on
his weekly $200 salary. But Charles, a stocker for Wal-Mart, said it's a burden
he welcomes.

"Once the person is here, they will eat nevertheless. Even if it's under the
bed, they will sleep there. That is your brother, your sister. Whatever it is
you can take care of, you do.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/4484554.htm