13641: DAwn: Re: 13633: Minsky: report from the field-a problem at school (fwd)

From: Dawn <dianadawn@hainet.net>

Several years ago, when I first came to Haiti, a Haitian Sociologist said
that there is a general feeling among Haitians at every level of society,
perpetuated by educators, government, religious leaders, etc.  that "Kreyol
is not a language"  Even those who give lip service to the need for literacy
do not truly promote the idea that Kreyol is a language and do not give
Kreyol the "respect" it is due.   After all, the purpose of language is
communication, and no language is superior or inferior to another.

Teaching children in their own "heart language" assures that they will learn
faster and better.  However, as long as the Baccalaureate I and II are
administered in French only, the schools are OBLIGATED to insist on the
students becoming proficient in French...in order for them to survive.

I do not know the school in question, but the problem lies not with the
school but with the system.   School exist to prepare Haitian students to
succeed on national exams.  period.

Schools in Haiti traditionally teach students to simply memorize and
regurgitate what they memorize.  Sadly, either they do not know how to nor
do not see the need to teach students higher level thinking skills which are
a true measure of learning.