13688: Jaffe Re: 13654: Busey: Re: 13647: Lyall asks "leguminous trees?" (fwd)

From: JoAnn Jaffe <joann.jaffe@uregina.ca>

(Not to encourage a magic bullet approach, but..) Pwoje Sove Te (Southwest
Haiti 1987-1991) tested and tried a variety of materials in hedgerows.
Several interesting and innovative ideas emerged, and of course as Busey
indicates below, there is no one right answer for every situation. In the
drier areas of our project area, we found quite a bit of interest in
Prosopis, commonly known as mesquite. It is also fast-growing and
leguminous, and the pods are edible by livestock and humans. It produces a
high quality firewood and charcoal. It also regrows quickly after being cut.
We were also exploring the possibility of farming Prosopis firewood and
charcoal during this time on very marginal lands, but the project was cut
short.

I remember that there was a large test of several different varieties of
mesquite in progress in the Northwest during the same period. Does anyone on
the list have more info?

JoAnn Jaffe