13699: Lafleur: RE: 13693: de Verteuil: 13686: (Chamberlain) (fwd)

From: Lourdes Lafleur <lourdeslafleur@videotron.ca>

Again I have to disagree with you. I haven't been living in Quebec for too
long and at the very beginning it was pretty difficult for me to understand
the "Joual" and I have to admit that I did not try very hard. It was even
difficult sometimes to understand what people were saying on TV on the
popular shows. I could not relate as you said to the accent and the
intonation. But, after 3 months and to this day I still do not comprehend
how and when it happened I finally understood the language of this woman in
the grocery store who had to repeat twice everything she was saying to me
and who probaly thought that I was a complete moron. I also have to admit
that the ability to understand the "Joual" and to communicate with people
made me feel less like a stranger and by the way, the grocery store lady and
I are good pals nowadays as they say in Quebec (chums).