13709: mrapollon One Meaning of Vertieres (fwd)

From: Marlène Apollon <mrapollon@hotmail.com>

Extract of a speech given by my maternal grandfather,Louis Mercier, at
Vertieres on November 18, 1936 (my translation). Will we be better listeners
than the folks of 1936?

La Bataille de Vertières Continue
The Battle of Vertieres goes on

…The battle of Vertières goes on for us.  We are still in the grasp of the
forces of evil and destruction.  All the stupid and deadly prejudices are
still  alive in our hearts and we still have a colonial mentality. …We still
haven’t erased all  traces of slavery.  The vast majority (of our people)
still live in ignorance, abject poverty, humiliation and this doesn’t revolt
us. The rules of hygiene are not observed.  Our cities still don’t look like
modern cities and our countryside is too neglected. We are not yet great
builders and we walk on too much devastation….Even today, we still don’t
want to be idealistic…to become real Haitian citizens, to purge ourselves of
  fanatism, hatred, to adopt and implement the noble laws of social justice
and human solidarity, rid ourselves completely of all the viruses that
poison our hearts and our brains:  Cast prejudices, place of origin
prejudices, relicts of a cursed past that we have to shed completely. Our
ancestors have made immense efforts for liberty and fraternity. Don’t let
their sacrifices be in vain.  Don’t let those foreigners that our history
fascinates and who admire us be disappointed by the sad spectacle that we
offer.
	Life is beautiful only under the invigorating shadow of a great dream and
in the framework of an admirable country where all the noble activities can
be fostered….where intellect,  willpower and reason are applied to maintain
Justice, Goodness, Fraternity, godmothers of all progress.
	Let’s open our hearts to love.  Let’s develop every social program that
will improve the lot of the wretched. Let’s take the firm resolution to work
to the point of sacrifice for the good of our country.  That the only way we
will grow…The fight goes on and we must remain in control of the field.  Let
us repeat, let us repeat unceasingly that truth that will liberate us:  « LA
BATAILLE DE VERTIÈRES CONTINUE.  THE BATTLE OF VERTIÈRES GOES ON.»