13722: Vilaire: Marx Aristide on Pina's Comments RE: Jane's Article (fwd)

From: vilaire@aol.com

Kevin Pina writes:
Who is one to believe? 4000, 8000, 15,000, and/or 25,000. Deibert, Regan and Vision 2000 in Haiti? <snip> ... "Not everything that is counted counts and not everything that counts is counted."

It's amazing to me how anyone -- especially those who claim to be in the people's camp -- can look at the the demonstration that took place in Cap Haitien and dismiss it as something that doesn't "count" or should be "counted." Mr. Pina, regardless of the numbers (4,000, 8,000 or 25,000), the demonstration matters and should not be trivialized, especially not by Lavalas. That demonstration is easily the biggest we've seen in a long time; it's certainly the loudest singular cry yet against Aristide and Lavalas. More importatnly, it combines the voices of many people of various sectors who are not necessarily part of the Convergence/Opposition alliance. Irrespective of who was speaking at the podium, ...it's not as if the demonstrators are members of the Convergence, right? And don't bother with the "they were paid to demonstrate" argument. It's an impossible sell!

Jane Regan (or any other journalist) should not be the subject of the demonstration. She was doing her job reporting an event of significant news value. Instead of directing attention to Jane Regan and speculating wildly about her career motives, we should be asking ourselves the following questions:
-How is it that a man for whom people were prepared to die only a few years ago is the subject of such public rejection?
-Given the Opposition's lack of political base and mass appeal, how is it that so many people (4,000 for the sake of argument) rallied to the demonstration? Doesn't that reflect deep-seated and widespread discontent within the population?

I don't know of any serious political party or organization that can summarily dismiss a big demonstration (even 4,000 in Haiti's current context ain't small). To the contrary, the demonstration should be taken seriously with a keen eye to the fundamental reasons people are crying "Down with Aristide!" whereas a few years ago they were united under the banner of "Aristide or Death!"

Mr. Pina and other Lavalas supporters: I'm afraid you have aimed your sling shot at the wrong target. It should not be Jane Regan, who's simply a messenger. It should not be Himmler Rebu, who's only claim to fame is a failed coup. It should not be Evans Paul, who's political career was embarrasingly crushed by Manno back in 1995. It should not be the Convergence, who's too busy courting beltway republicans to have any time building a base with slum dwellers and market ladies. Instead, Lavalas must deliver the goods to the people. Enough double-talk. Enough with the "se pa fòt mwen." Enough with the promises that can't be kept. Enough with the corruption. Enough with the fat-cats. And above all, do NOT dismiss the people's eloquent protests as fabrications of the press. That's downright insulting, and quite foolish I might add.

Warm regards,
Marx-Vilaire Aristide