13741: Arthur sends a translation of the AHP version of Ti-Goave violence (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

Charles Arthur writes:
I do not know what exactly happened in Petit-Goave on Wednesday - I was not
there, I am not in Haiti. I do not condone police opening fire on
demonstrations. I read the following Agence Haitienne Presse report and
thought I would translate it for the benefit of the Corbett list.

Opposition supporters dressed up as schoolboys spread violence during a
senoir year pupils' demonstration in Petit-Goave.

--
Petit-Goâve, 20 novembre 2002 -(AHP)- At least ten people, four of them
schoolboys have been wounded, and a Teleco vehicle has been set on fire, in

According to different eye-witnesess the incidents broke out after opposition
supporters disguised as schoolboys infiltrated the protest which was quickly
transformed into an anti-government demonstration. The majority of these
demonstrators have been identified as employees of the Petit-Goave judicial
court and national tax office. They ransacked the tax office building, the
mayor's office, and the local branch of the state electricity company, EDH.
They also closed the gates of town's schools and forced the schoolkids to
join their protest. The demonstrators dressed up as schoolboys also attacked
the Petit-Goave police station by throwing stones and shouting "grenadiers à
l'assaut".

The police responded with gunfire to dampen the demonstrators' fury.

The town mayor Réginald François condemned these incidents, as well as the
behaviour of certain sectors who are trying, according to him, to manipulate
the schoolkids for political ends. He called on the population to remain calm
and resist provocations.

*** The Minister of Education on Wednesday denied rumours that education
chiefs were intending to increase the cost of registering for school
graduation exams to 750 gourdes. The Minister claimed that the rumours were
without foundation. According to the Minister, until there is proof to the
contrary, a receipt remains the only legal document needed for registration
for the baccalaureate exams.

AHP 20 novembre 2002 3:30 PM

This email is forwarded as a service of the Haiti Support Group.

See the Haiti Support Group web site:
www.haitisupport.gn.apc.org

The Haiti Support Group - solidarity with the Haitian people's struggle for
justice, participatory democracy and equitable development, since 1992.