13766: MacLean Re: 13764: Lawless: Franklin Roosevelt and Haiti (fwd)

From: Franmacwrite@aol.com

My research of the occupation era leads me to conclude FDR never bought land
in Haiti. He returned to the States after riding horseback all over the
country saying he WANTED to buy land, either for a cattle ranch, or to set up
a string of prototypical 7 Elevens.....because Haitians would one day wear
shoes and need shoelaces and knives and forks to go with them....but he never
did. His wife, Eleanor, was once asked  the land question and answered:
Franklin always returned from a trip wanting to buy up the country.
Nevertheless, FDR remained a diplomatic friend to Haiti. He went to announce
the end of the occupation, the first (and only?) American president to visit
the country, and in turn was the first American president to invite a Haitian
president (Vincent?) to the White house. FDR "s charm warmed the room at that
gathering when he said: when he died he wanted "Haiti" written over his
heart.  Check the Heinls.

Fran Maclean