13788: Georges: Vision for a new Haiti

From: Jacques Raphael Georges <jgeorges@cisunix.unh.edu>

 IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE.

 TOPIC: "VISION FOR A NEW HAITI"

 THE FINAL PROGRAM IN A SPECIAL SERIES:
 "A PRELUDE TO HAITI'S INDEPENDENCE BICENTENNIAL, 1804-2004"
 FALL 2002, UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE.

 CONTACT : Dr. Jacques-Raphael Georges, 603 - 862 - 3551;
 jgeorges@cisunix.unh.edu

 PURPOSE : To re-discover the positive elements of Haiti's 200 years of
 independence. To combine these elements into a vision of "a new Haiti"
 for the next 200 years.

 FORMAT : A series of presentations during the fall semester, 2002. Each
 program will feature a guest speaker and a respondent, plus discussion
 with the audience.

 DOCUMENTATION : We will record all sessions in order to make an audiovisual
 package that will form a special edition for the bicentenial celebration.

 PROGRAM DATE AND TIME: Friday, November 22, 2002, 6-10 p.m.

 LOCATION:  Entertainment Center, ground floor, Memorial Union Building

 TOPIC : "Vision for a New Haiti"

 GUEST SPEAKER: Mr. Stuart Leiderman, doctoral student, Department of
 Natural Resources, UNH-Durham

 ROUND TABLE: Mr. Stuart Leiderman, Ms. Gaëlle Gourgues (Haitian student
 at UNH, Ms. Mirlande Butler (President-founder of Eritaj Foundation),
 Ms. Marie-Lygie Prophète (General-secretary, "Haiti 2004" bicentennial
 committee)

 RESPONDENT:  Dr. Jacques-Raphaël Georges, Lecturer in French, LLC, UNH

 SUMMARY OF PROGRAM:  For nearly 200 years we, Haitians, have been trying to
 come up with ways to make Haiti a better place for its citizens.  For nearly
 200 years we have been failing. As we are nearing our 200 years of
 independence a conscious look at our motherland  and at ourselves would
 reveal to us our failure as a people and  as nation. In the face of this
 tragic situation what must we do? In the endeavor to find an answer to
 this troubling question that we are adopting a new approach for the
 presentation of the series : "A Prelude to Haiti's Bicentennial."

 We will hear from Mr. Stuart M. Leiderman, a gentleman who is passionate
 about the environment and has travelled around the world to share his
 vision on the relationship of people and their natural surroundings.  He
 will present his proposal for experimental community on the northeast
 coast, where grassroots organizations throughout the country can come
 together to demonstrate the possibility of a "New Haiti"  based on the
 tenets of ecological restoration, right livelihood, lifelong learning and
 respect for human rights.  Then we will have a few thought provoking words
 from our panelists prior to discussion from the audience.  Recent videos
 of Haiti will also be shown

--
Dr. J.Raphael Georges

----- End forwarded message -----