13888: Dorce - Re: 13830: Re 13824: Simidor responds to Corbett (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

<< I agree 100%.  Haiti so desperately needs a culture of tolerance and
accountability that hundreds if not thousands have given their lives to that
struggle in the last 20 years. But how does Haiti become such a country in
the first place?  By pretending it is a democracy, just because people were
allowed to vote for the crooks who are now in power?  Real change will never
be born out of this kind of pretense -- not in 5, not in 10, not in 20 years.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You have hit the nail on the head...YES you become that kind of a country by
"pretending" it is a democracy.  Just like if you plant a smile you really
don't feel on your face, pretty soon, it becomes a real one.  Sometimes when
something is new and unfamiliar, you just have to fake it until it becomes
natural.  It is the transition from an oppressive society to a free one that
is the most dangerous of all.  And this is where we find Haiti now.  The
worst is over (those were the coup years) but now we have the last of the big
spenders not wanting to see the gravy train stalled at the station.  They
still are aligned with the elites in this country and they are the ones
making things ugly for Aristide.  Why doesn't the international community
give him the loans he is paying interest on?  WHY?  So he will fail.......and
you know it.  Do you want to see the foreigners tell Haiti what to do, and
whom to have as president?  Doesn't that gall you?  It does me and I'm not
Haitian!

Daniel, believe me, it will go bad for Haiti if this government is ousted.
It is the worst thing for democracy I can imagine.  It's not that broken, it
is perceived as broken but there is value in keeping it and working in the
system.  It's GREAT FOR THE CHARACTER.......the Haitians in charge could use
a huge dose of that!!!

Kathy Dorce~