13890: Dorce - Re: 13847: Re 13834: Simidor responds to Ewen (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 11/28/02 8:35:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
karioka9@arczip.comwrites:

<<  I argued that the Lavalas regime is not  a democratic government.  For
one thing, it is a government that operates  outside the law.  >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
This government has operated under a severe handicap since the election.  The
people voted for the wrong man and now how to get rid of him so the US, the
power elite in Haiti and the friends of the US (Haiti has damn few!) will be
happy?  There was a coup in 1991 that would NOT be repeated.  If they are
paranoid, they have a right to be.  And if they live in fortified homes, that
is understandable too.  It is unfortunate that Aristide felt he had to employ
thugs to protect his presidency.  But he did have to, or perish.  Would you,
Daniel, like to have been in his shoes?  Now it is less about Aristide, who
has weakened his presidency with too many concessions to the elites and the
US to be effectual, than it is about democracy.  Yet, if Aristide were to run
today, I wager he would still win over anyone you could put up.  I also claim
if Clinton ran today he would win too!  Ironic, no?
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 In countries as diverse as Brazil, France, Israel and Argentina, presidents
and prime-ministers have resigned under popular pressure, without any set
back for democratic governance.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I wouldn't say it's the same thing because Haiti is such a fledgling
democracy.  Any setback is bound to be disastrous.  I also would say that in
the countries above, setbacks in democratic governance were certainly
experienced.  Scandals are very bad news for heads of state and effects
business and economy in very negative ways for years to come.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Finally, the weakest point in your argument is the last sentence.  “Either
way,” you write, “it is the onus *of each group* to make their case to the
people both WITHIN the game and BY THE RULES of the game, and not
skirt them, and then abide by the outcomes until perhaps next time.”  Why,
we have gone beyond making a case to the people, in this “case.”  It is the
people themselves who are now in the streets, speaking loudly and
uncompromisingly against this government.  As I suggested in a previous
case, the people are sovereign…
If all of Haiti had spoken, then you might have a point.....a few thousand is
a wake up call but hardly a mandate.  The people should be heard.  Do you
hear those who still support Aristide?

Kathy Dorce~