13902: Dorce - Re: 13897: Durban Issues Challenge to Speechwriters (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 12/1/02 7:07:58 AM Pacific Standard Time, Lance Durban
<lpdurban@yahoo.com> writes:

<< The protests now
 developing in Haiti are simply NOT caused or financed by
 specifically-aimed forces coming from outside of Haiti, but
 rather they are a reaction to an increasingly impossible
 economic climate inside Haiti.  Mr. Aristide still has the
 tremendous advantage in that there is no viable competitor on
 the Haitian stage, but that does not mean people are happy with
 the way the country is being run. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Ever since the coup of 1991, the country has been run into the ground; the
Swiss cheese embargo was placed on Haiti, effectively helping the elites get
richer while bringing crushing inflation to the poor.  Food staples were now
out of reach for most Haitians where before, they were able to feed their
families at least the basics.  This runaway inflation has not gotten better.
Why is it that when the US ruins a place, they usually spend billions to
rebuild it to what it was before (Germany, Japan....etc.) but they just about
killed Haiti and never put anything right again??  Is it because they do not
want Aristide to succeed?  They want the people to know they elected the
wrong guy.  They want them to feel the consequences of going against the US.
No one is happy with the way Haiti is.....it is worse than I've ever seen it.
 And Aristide has not been stellar in his handling of this impossible
situation.  And it IS impossible.  In trying to stay alive and in office, he
has allowed his followers to get tough.  But honestly what else was he to do?
 You tell me what kind of president could he have been in order to bring
progress and prosperity to Haiti?  Nothing he could have done would have
worked because they don't WANT it to work.  They have one agenda and it is
not making Haiti better for all..........it is getting rid of Aristide,
period.  Lance, all governments should answer to the people, I do not argue
with this.  But this is not demonstrating against certain policies.  They are
planned by those who are not interested in Aristide fixing the problems, they
want him out.  The people, even some who supported Aristide, are ripe for
this because the situation in Haiti is so dire.  Is this not part of the
plan???  I get it....and I'm sure you do too.

As for the speechwriters......I don't think what he says will make any
difference to the freight train heading his way.  The people will have to
stand up and stop that train if they would not have another coup.  However,
if you want to slip something under his door; I would advise the president to
stop making concessions that will not help him or Haiti, and stop listening
to advisors who kiss his you-know-what and tell him what he wants to hear
instead of to those who would tell him the truth, whether it hurts or not.
He should dump his cabinet and get some people who share his vision, and
please, without a criminal past (read Duvalierist)!  New parliamentary
elections, yes.  Concessions to the US....NO....money or not.  He could have
been an awesome president if he hadn't had all those impossible obstacles.

Let's ask the people of Haiti if they want Aristide and great difficulty from
the US or a president designed by the US and easier times.  When your
starving, you might be forgiven for choosing the latter.  Bad for the spirit
though.

Kathy Dorce~