13921: Knowles re Dorce, Simidor, Jean Du Tuyau (fwd)

From: Phil Knowles <Phildk@prodigy.net>

This discussion of Overthrow Vs Stay the Course is impressive. One wanting
Haiti to succeed can see some intellect on each side.  But overthrow (or
forced
resignation and flight) does perpetuate a crummy way to fix things.
Sometimes it is necessary, but I doubt Haiti is quite in that place. The
matter is dead serious, and this List is an excellent forum for all sides.

I am not Haitian, certainly not living the daily grind in Haiti (I visited
in October).  It maybe 'simplistic', but I like this from Dorce
(truncated):

"When things go bad, throw it away?  If it's broke, fix it!  It may take
more effort but isn't your country worth the trouble ...?  Maybe a broken
pencil you would want to discard, or a broken cigarette lighter.
Breaking things and discarding them is part of Haiti's illness.  How bout
trying to make things better within the government that was voted in?
Demonstrate.....YES!  Make demands of your government...YES!  But give up
this self destructive behavior of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Democracy is a process.  Let it work. ................ Let Aristide finish
his term (even if it isn't very pretty to look at)."

and (still Dorce):  "Sometimes when something is new and unfamiliar, you
just have to fake it until it becomes natural.  It is the transition from an
oppressive society to a free one that is the most dangerous of all.  And
this is where we find Haiti now."

 This is very tough gardening.

Phil Knowles