13977: Dorce: Re: 13906: Dorvilus: Re:13900: Dorce - North vs South (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 12/1/02 1:32:19 PM Pacific Standard Time, Arsene Dorvilus
<arsenedorvilus@phayze.com>writes:

<< Haiti has enough problems right now for people to come inject
 yet another factor of division, namely "geographicalism" (in the same vein
 as "tribalisme" in parts of Africa)   into the mix. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It was never my intent to inject a factor of division into the mix of Haiti's
problems by suggesting that those in the north might be easier to manipulate
into a frenzy of calling for the ouster of Aristide.  It was just a
suggestion, not born of any research and a simple explanation would have
sufficed to set me straight.

In a climate where demonstrations are commonly bought and serve as a prelude
to a bloody coup, it might be easier to understand the intolerance of a
government in that regard.  These demonstrations are not against a policy,
for the most part, or if they are, they also include getting rid of Aristide.
 This makes his supporters nervous and they react badly.  I'm not excusing
this behavior, merely explaining why it might be this way.  A healthy
democracy supports dissension but this is not a healthy one.  It is one under
siege and has been so from the beginning.  I realize bad things are happening
that cry out for justice.  But try and remember, this administration is
fighting for its existance and might see valid demonstrations as playing into
the enemy's hands.  It is wrong to stop the peasants from organizing.  It's
wrong to court the bourgeois and allow them to continue brutal employment
practices.  Too many concessions have been made inside and outside the
country.  All for survival of the elected government.  It's easy to point to
one man.  I think that is short sighted.  If people would unite for democracy
against those who would take it from the people, then maybe there would be a
healthy democracy with tolerance for dissension.  In time.  I'm sorry things
didn't get better immediately.  But there is a long history of oligarchy and
civil corruption there.  It doesn't go away overnight because of one man.
Keep fighting but know who your enemy is.

Kathy~