13978: makandale posts Sec. Powell's remarks on plane trip to Columbia (Dec 4 2002) (fwd)

From: jocelyne mayas <makandale@yahoo.com>

Sec. Powell's remarks on plane trip to Columbia:

  On Haiti, I hope that with the strikes that are
taking place now will be
  peaceful and do not result in a heightened sense of
crisis. With respect to
  Haiti, I am concerned that the demonstrations in the
streets have gotten larger
  and a little more intense, they were around our
Embassy early today. Once
  again, the OAS is playing a role, seeing what can be
done to move the political
  process along, which is at the base of the problems
in Haiti. Political
  reconciliation and solving some of the political
issues that have being hanging
  out for the last couple of years, is the way
forward. I hope president Aristide
  will be able to move forward with the assistance of
the OAS. I am pleased that
  earlier in the year we were able to solve some
difficulties with respect to
  providing, or making, additional aid available to
Haiti.