13993: Pina: TNH Journalists Beaten at National University (fwd)

From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

December 6, 2002
Port au Prince, Haiti

Two journalists from Television Nationale de Haiti (TNH) were brutally
beaten and their equipment smashed as rampaging students attacked them at a
National University campus in Port au Prince yesterday. According to the
General Manager of TNH, Dr. Demesmin, the camera crew had arrived to
interview students who had called for a two day non-violent  strike against
the government at the campus of  the Faculty of Human Sciences. Dr. Demesmin
continued, "Upon the arrival of our journalists the students began screaming
and beating them, then they ripped away their camera and tape recorder,
smashing them to the ground. Our journalists were lucky to get out."

The incident comes on the heels of allegations by other students that campus
leaders of the anti-government protests had recently received payments
totaling nearly sixty thousand U.S. dollars from an unknown source.  The
information could not be independently confirmed and the students promised
to present evidence of their allegations to the press in the near future.
The situation remains tense throughout all of the National University
campuses in the capital.