13999: Edouard- News -U.S. Concerned About Violent Demonstrations in Haiti (fwd)

From: Felix Edouard <loveayiti@hotmail.com>

(Distributed by the Office of International Information Programs, U.S.
Department of State. Web site: http://usinfo.state.gov)

U.S. Department of State
Press Statement
Philip T. Reeker, Deputy Spokesman
Washington, D.C.

December 4, 2002

Violent Demonstrations In Haiti

The United States is deeply concerned about violent demonstrations
that have taken place in Haiti over the past two weeks. We are
particularly troubled by the violence and intimidation perpetrated by
government-backed "popular organizations" and their allies in Port au
Prince, Gonaives, and Cap Haitien.

The United States deplores the deterioration of the political climate
in Haiti that these events represent. We call on all parties, in a
spirit of national reconciliation and compromise, to work calmly and
seriously toward a peaceful and democratic solution to Haiti's
political crisis, which has gone on far too long.

The United States strongly supports the OAS Special Mission and OAS
Resolution 822, which offer a clear path toward resolution of the
crisis. We call on all parties involved in the implementation of
Resolution 822 to eschew violence, and to play a constructive role in
forming a Provisional Electoral Council as an essential step toward
free and fair elections in 2003. The Government of Haiti must act now
to fulfill its commitments under the Resolution, most notably to
restore a climate of security. For their part, Convergence
Democratique, other opposition parties, and civil society must play a
constructive and responsible role in moving forward under Resolution
822, and in fostering an environment that promotes political
reconciliation for all Haitians.

(end text)