14020: Dorce: Re: 13979: Haitian Times: Memories of the past (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 12/6/02 5:58:11 AM Pacific Standard Time, Haitian Times
<publisher@haitiantimes.com> writes:

>> I quoted a source from the Cato Institute whose analysis was simple: given
the dicatorship that precedeed Aristide and the lack of resources at his
disposition he
couldn't succeed.>>

It sounds to me like in your eyes, Aristide was never right for Haiti.
However, it isn't you or your source who will decide if Aristide is the man.
The people have already decided.  It's a done deal.  Even though many are
disappointed in him and even more in what is happening, it does not negate
the election.  Educated Haitians need to stop feeling that old paternal pull
to take care of the "children of Haiti" (the uneducated masses).  You all
think you know what's best for Haiti and Haitians, but you need to put your
ideas in a form that will fit into the present system of government, not
dictate to them what it is you believe is best.

You are so quick to dismiss him you never even gave him a chance. Other men,
chosen by the US because of their "flexibility" and willingness to work with
the US agenda, might have been more effective as far as getting aid and loans
from the international community in return for favorable trade terms and an
advantageous foreign business climate.  But the people didn't vote for them.
They voted for change.  You don't get to tell the people what they want and
need. Such is the rub in democracies.

<< Let the sober thinking people in Haiti lead. >>

I wasn't clear on who these sober thinking people in Haiti are.  I'd like to
hear some names.  If they are thinking people, then perhaps they will know
that they need to do some serious campaigning before they get to lead the
country.  Really, there are less than four years to get their act together.
Time's a'wastin!

Kathy Dorce~