14046: (Chamberlain) adds to Grey about Gerald Khawly killed (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

Greg Chamberlain writes:  I did not know Mr Khawly or anything about him,
but I've been sent a different description of him that I thought would be
of interest to the group, as follows:

Gérald Khawly was a big godfather in the drug trafficking, everybody knew
that. Gérald was far richer than the prominent Jacmel  businessman Jacques
Khawly former mayor, now president of Chambre de commerce. Whose son by the
way is in prison in
connection with the landing of a Colombian plane.  He owned a fortress-like
villa on the Raymond-les-Bains, outrageous-looking, extravagant. But he was
rarely there.

He is also much more controversial. He was known to be active in the inner
circle of coup-plotters from the bourgeoisie. He then became the business
partner of Michel Francois in Jacmel, for all embargo-crossing imports,
such as cement - his big thing during all years up til now, with own port
etc - oil, and already at that time, narcotics.

Now, in later years, he has been close to Aristide, a financial supporter
especially. Also the young Vorbe, from another important family, who was
shot in the neck with him, was known to be "close to the president".