14066: stanley honorat responce to hyppolite pierre (fwd)

From: stanley honorat honorat <shonorat@hotmail.com>

hyppolite,
i read your post and, in theory, agree with it.  but, we are not in a
classroom here, so i must tell you why i can't agree in reality.  in order
for me to agree those ideas we would have to postulate (purposefully used
the same word here) that at this point in time, we have opened the
proverbial door to democracy and we must continue the process.  i believe
that we have not begun the democracy and that a change of government is
needed to begin that process.
now, you are correct in saying that i don't believe it is best for haiti if
aristide finishes his term.  there are several reasons why:
1-i do not believe that credible, fair elections can be expected with
aristide in power;
2-i believe that aristide has violated the constitution, and that, in light
of this, if he were in a democratic environment with a credible parliament,
impeachment hearings would be well underway.
3-the more time goes by, the tougher it will be to make what i believe to be
the correct choices with regards to haiti...
there are more, but i will stop here.
i do respect your opinion and this reminds me of the last post i made.  you
presented your opinion intelligently and didn't revert to attacking anyone's
integrity.  i respect that.  some people believe that because another person
disagrees with them, they are well within their rights to denigrate said
person.
now, is haiti (to this point) a failed society?  i believe we can make the
argument that it is.  are we all responsible?  yes, we definitely are.  is
it time to sit together and come up with solutions to help our country?
most definitely.  is aristide the man to unite our society?  i say no.  he
had the chance but squandered it by inciting, among other things, class
warfare, racial prejudice and anarchy.  you cannot sit and negociate with a
man that you do not trust.  he has lied and schemed enough to lose what ever
semblance of integrity he may have had before.  he, along with his croonies
(mario dupuy et al) have proven how they can blatantly lie and simply deny
it afterwards.  in a situation like this, it is hard to give someone the
benefit of the doubt and negociate in good faith.
once again, let me reaffirm my faith that haiti will get through this
impasse.  may those of you who believe in god pray for this country and pray
that we all act in good faith and to the betterment of our land