14084L Arthur on Truman Capote's short story set in Haiti (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

Charles Arthur writes:

I have just happened across Truman Capote's  short story, entitled 'House of
Flowers'. Surprised that I had never heard about it before.

Here is a review I found somewhere on the Internet:

'House of Flowers' is a hard look at the vast differences in the ways that
women and men view their relationships with one another. Even when loving,
the message seems to be that the men will always take advantage of the women.
The women, however, acquire soulful beauty in their ability to overcome that
needy exploitation and appreciate belonging to one another and to the men.
This story tells the tale of a young woman who works in a house of ill fame
in Haiti, and is charmed into 'marrying' a young, poor hill man who is
dominated by his spell-casting grandmother. Together, the young couple
overcome the challenge, and build on their love for one another.