14260: Lyall on Visas (fwd)

From: J.David Lyall <david@lyalls.net>

I  spent six weeks vacationing in Haiti on my second visit, then visited
for more than two months at least every year for the past 5 years.

"Resorts" at which one spends a week or two weeks do not exist
en Hayti and do not interest the type of travellers who are interested
in Hayti anyway.

It is true that it is expensive to get into the usa. As far as I know
it is still free to get into the republic dominican, which also has
resort hotels.

Quite a few of the 'tourists' one sees in haiti have been in the DR
and are taking a one week jaunt into haiti to see Citadel/Okap or
Jacmel. A one hundred dollar fee will certainly eliminate that traffic.

If haiti simply wants to cut its own throat to spite some imaginary
slight (a familiar tactic in haiti) then this is a very successful gambit.