14272: Pierre Jean: Re: 14254: mrapollon@hotmail.com Re: Light for Haiti (fwd)

From: Pierre Jean <pierrejean01@yahoo.com>

The Jacmel miracle you refer to may not last too long
if a more appropriate source of energy is not found. I
cannot understand for the life of me why this
government, and all the previous ones, decided to get
addicted to the most expensive form of electricity
production, i.e. diesel fuel.

The current administration's penchant for
short-sighted political solutions to real-life
problems explains why they chose to light up Les Cayes
24 hours a day using a diesel plant leased from SOGED,
instead of spending time to find cheaper solutions.
What will happen when the contract runs out?

Same thing happened in Jacmel. Hydro-Quebec had
offered to look at cheaper alternatives, yet the
then-government chose to go with a diesel plant. If
Jacmel still has electricity 24 hours a day, that is
because of the high payment rate of the citizenry
(above 85%, I believe.) But if the price of diesel
increases tremendously, and if the economy keeps
tanking, then all bets are off.

Dr. Michel Lominy from APDESE (Association pour la
Promotion et le Développement Economique du Sud-Est)
has written many times about this issue, and he has
argued tirelessly about the need to come up with a
long-term sensible solution to the country's energy
crisis, but no one is paying attention to him. Maybe
they will when we can no longer afford diesel plants.