14270: Burnham posts re: electricity, gaz and the resignation debate.. (fwd)

From: thor burnham <thorald_mb@hotmail.com>

>From Thor Burnham in Port-au-Prince:

Electricity:
     My faith in humanity was partially restored on Christmas day. My
neighbourhood had a visit from Santa's EDH delegation...that evening we had
power!!! The cheers and whoops of glee were louder and longer than that
which usually accompanies the arrival of the mysterious kouran. My, how the
little things can be so sweet. The cargo cult continues...though i obviously
need to come up with a better name....

Gaz:
     I'll add to Laurie Bushey's comments. The 'gaz crisis' was interesting
to watch; it seems to be almost over now that the boat has arrived. It
definitely took on a Mad Max quality at times as the "precious juice" became
a hot commodity. One instance was memorable as it demonstrated Haitian power
relations, indeed the deference given to the 'gwo zotobres'. Last week I
dutifully took my position with my two gallons near a pump in Petionville,
jostling and bumping my way through a hectic, but good natured line, joking
with the other negs about the injustice of it all. Up walks a very large
gentleman in a business suit (i'm assuming he was a government functionary
since after he finished he got into a Nissan Patrol with officiel plates)
who then walked to the front of the line and pushed his way in. The
resentment from everyone else was tangible, both from those standing in line
and those in cars, but no one dared to say a thing. One man behind me who
did make a comment--something to the effect that the line started behind
him--recieved a quick, but menacing stare. The offending party bowed his
head and looked away. Meanwhile, the well dressed gentleman quickly filled
up two five gallon gas containers (everyone else was limited to 2 gallons)
and then had his "aide" carry them to the car. Some people had been there
for hours.

As to the resignation debate: riddle me this....

    I have yet to either read or hear a convincing argument against
Aristide's resignation. Now, before certain people on the list get bent out
of shape, let me be clear that i'm not advocating his resignation, nor any
particular political position, though I certainly am an advocate for
transparent and responsible government, regardless of the locale, which is
really fundamental to a healthy democracy, is it not? Please spare me the ad
hominum (spelling?) attacks and deal with the issue at hand.
     Even our wily wordsmith of worded words, du Tuyau, has taken up the
sank ans position without cleary clarifying clairement the clarification of
his dirty dishes dishwashing logic.
     It seems to me that the real question that people are asking is whether
or not Aristide's record of governance entitles him to continue as
President.
     But, given the numerous allegations of malfeasance, corruption,
repression and outright illegality (yes, that's redundant), does he not have
an ethical or moral responsibility to address those issues? And, in the
event that some of the allegations are substantiated, does he not have a
moral and ethical responsibility to resign? Being elected President of the
Republic means being accountable not only for your own actions but the
actions of your ministers and other government functionaries. That's part of
the job, whether you like it or not.
     On the supposition that he did resign, why do people insist that this
will be the end of democracy in Haiti?  It seems to me that this logic is,
in fact, undemocratic. Arguing that the democractic process rests in the
hands of one man is an oxymoron, is it not? He certainly didn't elect
himself. Yet i get the feeling that some people are supporting what amounts
to a cult of personality. Is democracy so fragile in Haiti that no one else
can lead? Are people saying that Aristide is irreplacable? Are there no
other capable women and men in Haiti, or the Diaspora, who could run for
office and lead the nation?
And i'm not talking about the converegence.

so, i want from the list:
1) an explanation as to why resignation is a euphism for coup d'etat
2) why demanding the resignation of Aristide is undemocratic
3) are the allegations of criminality etc, all false, partly false or mostly
true?

best,
thor burnham