14287: Otello365: Re: 14270: the resignation debate (fwd)

From: Otello365@aol.com

> so, i want from the list:
> 1) an explanation as to why resignation is a euphism for coup d'etat
> 2) why demanding the resignation of Aristide is undemocratic
> 3) are the allegations of criminality etc, all false, partly false or
> mostly
> true?
>
> best,
> thor burnham
> L.Esposito <otello365@aol.com>

1. If Aristide's resignation was uncoerced and voluntarily embarked upon then
it would be met with complete approbation on most people's part.  But if a
certain group of people of the wealthy and political elites drive him from
power without resorting to some sort of an impeachment process, then it is
corrosive of the democratic process.

2. To demand that someone resign is quite acceptable but the rule of law of
an impeachment process must be enacted and followed.

3. Allegations must be upheld with the burden of  evidentiary proof.  If
Aristide or anyone surrounding him has committed crimes then proof must be
provided and an impeachment process begun leading possibly to a criminal
trial.  Speculating on the falsity or verity of crimes accomplishes nothing.
Once again, unfounded rumors and speculations corrodes the democratic
processes and jurisprudence system that are needed to bring stability to any
nation.

If by chance Aristide does get driven from power, what will have been
accomplished?
How easy will it be to drive the next president or the next president after
that from office so that what we get will be de facto coup d'etats.