14338: MariLinc: Article on Creole Computing in MultiLingual Computing & Technology #53, 14(1) (fwd)

From: MariLinc@aol.com

Friends of Creole (please don't be offended by my overtly listing your email
addresses in this note; it is important that no time and energy be wasted in
contacting folks who have already been contacted as a result of this note):

In anticipation of a service that MultiLingual Computing & Technology (MLC&T;
www.multilingual.com) extends to authors published in their magazine, I would
like to request a preferred snail mail address from you.

After the first article I had published in MLC&T, they sent me a pile of
certificates to award a one-year free subscription (worth over $95 for U.S.
subscriptions) for the magazine to my close friends and colleagues,
commencing with the issue containing the said article. That way, they got the
issue (free of charge) with the article which would be of most interest to
them and then those recipients kept on getting another full year's worth of
subsequent editions at no cost, so that they could become acquainted with the
magazine.

The article in question is:

MASON, Marilyn & Jeff ALLEN. 2003. "Computing in Creole Languages: The Web
stimulates growth and development of historically oral languages".
MultiLingual Computing & Technology, #53, Volume 14, Issue 1,
January/February 2003, pp 24-32.

Not only is it featured on the cover, but it is the lead article in this
particular issue.

Being a popular, glossy magazine with a seasoned graphics and lay-out
department, it is full of graphics, including a background map of the
Creole-speaking world, a pic of Guy Antoine at Windows on Haiti Hqtrs,
KIPKAA's (now KEPKAA's) Creole Month Poster 2002, and loads of other Haiti-
and Creole-centric photos, such as screenshots of software products and other
pics I have taken in the midst of my Creole World travels. In addition, there
are side-boxes with URLs to Creole-relevant sites (including those of
Creolists doing important language technologies-related work) and
sub-sections highlighting "Diaspora Within a Diaspora", "Language Policies
Emerge", "Seychelles", "Internet Spurs Development of Written Creole
Languages", "Existing Creole Language Technologies", and "The Next
Challenges".

This may be an article published especially for those interested in
multilingual computing issues, but the editor (Laurel Wagers) specifically
requested that I would -- above all -- present a culture study and to help
the general public to see the face of and understand the hearts of Creole and
Pidgin speakers around the globe. In addition, because of Jeff's editorial
input and expertise, it also is credible at the linguistics and language
technologies levels.

So, please send me your own snail mail address if you want to receive this
issue, as well as receive the free 1-year subscription. Also, send me snail
mail addresses of others you think might be interested. If I remember
correctly, I'll get about 25 of these certificates (Jeff will get another 25
and he is already drowning in free certificates because he is also a
contributing editor to the magazine (also see his review article on Bible
software in this same issue). And, these certificates are good not only for
US first-class delivery, but also first-class delivery to other places in the
world. The overseas subscriptions are worth much more than the US ones, but
MLC&T awards them nevertheless. So, put your "thinking caps" on and alert me
to those who would like to receive such a benefit. If I receive more than 25
addresses, I'll request that Jeff send me some of his extraneous certificates
lying dormant on his desk! What counts is that we who love and respect Creole
languages can get to understand the technologies which can then be adapted to
support them!).

Marilyn

Marilyn Mason
P.O. Box 181015