14352: Simidor, re du Tuyau and UFOs (fwd)

From: karioka9@arczip.com

Tuyau, referring to an earlier reply to Jean Jean-Pierre on this list, asks: if
young people like Seide are getting killed everyday, where are the bodies?
Then in typical Haitian fashion, he sloppily summarizes: “Lavalas kill people
all time all the time at night in the dark. But nobody see dead people.”

1>   Dead bodies are seldom dumped, I imagine, in “les beaux quartiers”
familiar to Tuyau and his imaginary friends.  That’s why he can joke about
them.  For poor people who live in the shanty towns, near the canals and
swamps where those bodies are dumped, it’s not so funny.  I’m told that
Travaux Publics pick up the decomposed bodies when they get around to it.
I’m told that some of the bodies are dumped in the ti-Tanyen area.  For the
bodies that don’t get picked up, people in the neighborhood deal with them
the best way they can: by burning them or carrying them to the nearest dump,
where Tuyau’s UFO friends must come and get them.

2>   I said nothing to implicate Aristide or Lavalas in those killings.  Many if
not most of them are gang-related.  Maybe Tuyau is among those who think
that Aristide controls all the gangs?  I wrote in the same post that the police
are responsible for dozens of such killings every year – Zero Tolerance
executions, police-zenglendo operations, political and drug-related killings.
But again, I did not implicate Aristide or Lavalas in those killings.  Those
who hate Aristide see his hands in everything that goes wrong in Haiti.  Those
who revere him are, for their part, in constant denial and bad faith, because
for them to acknowledge that police commandos and death squads are
murdering innocent people, say in Carrefour last month, would be to accept
that Aristide and his Lavalas regime are less than perfect.  This kind of
obsession on both parts is simply morbid.

The point is that Aristide does use the police for his own aims.  But it’s also
true that the police are men with guns and power in a state of near complete
lawlessness, with few structures to hold them accountable.  How do you
account otherwise for all the stories of police sergeants building luxury homes
around the capital?

Daniel Simidor