14371: Lloyd: fabulous idea (fwd)

From: Robin Lloyd <robinlloyd@greenvalleymedia.org>

Dear Haiti supporters:

I attended a press conference announcing MLK activities here in
Burlington yesterday (Dick Gregory is coming!). The slogan for this year
is "Day On! Not a Day Off!"
It suddenly occurred to me that wouldn't it be wonderful if the Martin
Luther King Center in Atlanta (who I believe decides on themes for each
year) declared that next year, MLK Day should be dedicated to Haiti and
the fight against slavery.  OK, the revolution of 1804 was not
non-violent, but it was nevertheless a critical moment in the struggle
for freedom. And if the Center took up this idea, it would be
disseminated around the country!! (Does anyone know whether MLK said
anything about Haiti?)
I'm going to write to the Center and propose this.  Why don't you?  Lets
get a groundswell going!!!
Robin