14415: Re: 14374: Goldstein: travel luggage to Haiti (fwd)

From: ALCCHFP@aol.com

From: Joel Goldstein

Thanks to all who provided great suggestions regarding luggage.

I have subsequently called American airlines again, and this time they told
me that boxes were fine (again, this is from Newark, NJ, changing planes in
Miami.) I suppose I will call them a few more times to see if I can get a
consistent story before I bring a team there in February. This is actually
not the first time I have received conflicting information from them
regarding this.

We typically go for about two weeks, visiting 3 different communites on
mission trips: 2 in the Petit Goave area and one in Marchasse (between
Thiotte and Bel Anse in the mountains southeast of Port-au-Prince). We are
often distributing first-aid, hygiene, and school supplies to clinics,
churches and schools in these areas. The boxes (we used computer monitor
boxes because they are very sturdy) make it very convenient to re-pack these
supplies as needed while we travel through Haiti, as well as keep them and
our own personal supplies organized when we are on-site at a particular
location for a few days. However, the rubbermaid plastic containers, and
perhaps the trunks, that have been suggested are attractive alternatives,
especially if American changes it's tune again.