14423: Frederick replies to Manigat on statehood

From: Gamaliel Frederick <frederickgama@hotmail.com>

Just a  I would like Max Manigat to consider! While statehood, is determined by
“Public International Law”, a nation can be subject to another nation, and not
recognized as an independent people or nation, yet still constitute a people or
nation with its own identity. Some countries are formed with many nations,
which often cause schism, in which case each nation of the composite state keep
their proper identity. If we can prove that the generation of blacks that went
alongside the French were born in Africa then we can call them Africans, but if
they were born in Saint Domingue, they were people of the French colony Saint
Domingue, (now Haiti.) The culture of the blacks born in Saint Domingue were
not Africans, they were people of african Descent, in a totally different
socio-cultural environment, serving white masters. Also, if I should point that
out, by the time French helped the US revolutionaries it had abolished slavery,
may be it was just a charade but these men were free. (Remember the Indigenous
Army*) They already had a Haitian heritage, that same generation fought for the
country they decided to call Haiti, why are they not then Haitians? .For
instance, just because France still (occupies*) Guadeloupe, we still talk about
the people of Guadeloupe, and they make up a nation, but a nation under the
political government of France, thereby with French nationality from a legal
standpoint of Public international Law. Likewise, the Haitians of Saint
Domingue were free man born in Haiti, (then Saint Domingue.) If attributing the
role of Haitians during the American Revolution to French, then we should also
give credit to the French for the Haitian Revolution.  After all, they would
just be French, fighting the French to gain independence and would not start
earning credit for being Haitian before legal statehood status is given.

PS. Look up the technical definition of nation and statehood in a Public
International Law Dictionary.