14420: LeGrace Benson respondsRe: 14408: Nekita on the Haitian intellectuals' Role (fwd)

From: LeGrace Benson <legrace@twcny.rr.com>

Although Anglo from the Southern states, and living at some distance from
Boston, I nevertheless have some remarks based upon observations of the
Boston metropolitan area over a period of years, and also upon observations
of other communities of expatriates, refugees, asylees and immigrants from
several countries now living in my vicinity.
    First of all my compliments to the many Haitians in the Boston area who
have made some admirable accomplishments in the arts, literature, music,
religions, education, health services, social services and in developing
highly regarded programs of Kreyol research, teaching, bilingual education
and suppport of new works and translations.  I have seen people working
overtime on a voluntary basis to seek and succeed in getting grants to
support efforts in all these areas both for the Boston metropolitian
districts and in Haiti.  One knows of or hears about schools (including
K-through university level), water and forestation projects, medical
services delivery, model farms and infrastructure building for Haiti by the
diaspora people of Boston.  In Boston area schools, there are prize-winning
teachers in bi-lingual programs ( now about to be discontinued). There are
some projects begun by as few as four women with no funds that now sustain
programs for after-school tutoring, job preparation and seeking, medical
assistance and shelter for women and children.  Medical lay-education for a
Kreyol-speaking population is serious and effective. There are numerous
noteworthy cultural events, and many respected artists, musicians, poets,
essayists and novelists who regularly produce works which any community
should be pleased to recognize.
    As for divisions amongst Haitians, this seems to be a universal
condition among us contentious humans.  In my own city, I see Cubans who do
not speak to other Cubans, Bosnians who will not attend the same function as
their compatriots or Ukranians who disdain to associate with those who
attend another church. Only the Hmong seem to be tranquill with one another.
On the other hand, I have witnessed extraordinary, even sacrficial
assistance given to newcomers from the homeland within each of these
populations.
    As for solidarity amongst my own good folk,  there are enough problems
and misdirections to keep the media churning out stuff every day.
    Take heart! Many, many Haitians in Haiti and in Boston are working their
butts off with successes that perhaps are better off going without too much
attention.
Bon Kouraj!!